Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Belated Mothers Day Dinner


The original focus of this blog was to share my easy cooking tips. Although now I intend to include some assorted anecdotes I still want to feature some of my favorite recipes. I’m obsessed with food, cooking, eating out and talking about what I’ve eaten and would like to eat in the future. All that eating has resulted in lots of cooking and I’ve started to learn a couple of signature dishes that are easy to make and sure to impress. For my Belated Mother’s Day dinner I made one of my favorites, which is chicken stuffed with prosciutto, mozzarella and sage. I topped the chicken with an easy white wine sauce and served pureed cauliflower and sautéed spinach on the side.

Here's what you'll need:

For the chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat and pounded, Prosciutto one slice per chicken cutlet, Deli Sliced Mozzarella one slice per chicken cutlet, Fresh Sage, Flour seasoned with salt and pepper, Olive Oil for the pan

For the Sauce: White wine, Butter, Flour for thickening

For the Cauliflower Puree: 1 Head Cauliflower, 1 Yellow potato, Butter, Cream or Milk, Salt and Pepper to taste

For the Spinach: 1 container of baby spinach, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, Olive oil for the pan

The chicken is easy to make since the deli does half the work. To make simply pound out chicken breasts, the thinner they are the faster they will cook. Eyeball it; somewhere around a half an inch is ideal. On top of each cutlet place a slice of prosciutto, a slice of the deli mozzarella and a couple sage leaves. Fold the cutlet in half. I've never had trouble with the breasts staying together but you can always use a toothpick to keep them tight. Dredge the cutlets in seasoned flour and pan fry. The chicken should be a nice golden color when you flip it over. If mozzarella gets stuck in the pan don't sweat it that will only add flavor to your sauce. Once the chicken is finished reduce the pan with white wine scrapping the bottom to get all the flavors of the prosciutto and the cheese off the pan and into your sauce. Add butter to taste and flour to thicken. 

Both of the side dishes are super easy to make. The first is the cauliflower. All you need to do is steam or boil a head of cauliflower with one yellow potato. I've made this recipe without adding the potato and the taste was good but the texture was very thin. Adding the potato you get the same feeling as eating mashed potatoes but with only a fraction of the carbs. Once the potato and cauliflower are tender mash adding butter and milk or cream to taste. You can really make this recipe healthy if you go with low fat milk and skip out on the potato. Either way it's a quick and easy side dish. The sautéed spinach is just that. I threw some garlic in a pan with some olive oil added baby spinach and let it wilt. 

I served the meal with the same white wine I used to make the sauce. Mom and Dad loved it! The chicken is so easy you can swap out the sides to change up the dish. Either way it's sure to impress. Anytime you add prosciutto to a dish it's instantly more delicious. Feel free to try it and please let me know your thoughts.

No comments: